Monday, November 13, 2017

Go on...ask me.


Hello!  It’s been a while.  Again.  Nothing’s been happening between posts, except for the occasional home study update, or the 10th fingerprint scan, or various forms that need to be renewed.  During this long wait, occasionally I’ll get asked, “So, how’s the adoption going?”  My answer is usually the same, “Still waiting…”  Sam always tell people, “It’s like we’re at the deli counter.  We’ve got our ticket, we’re just waiting for them to call our number.”  Nothing changes in our answers.

So…go on.  Ask me.  Ask me how our adoption is going.

(pause for dramatic affect)

 

WE GOT OUR REFERRAL!!!  (Wait, what’s a referral?)  We were finally matched with a child!!  After 5 years and 3 months since we began the application process, 3 years and 5 months of that time being on the waiting list, we received that gloriously wonderful email.  (Wait, an email?  No phone call?)  Yep, email.  Most people envision a phone call followed by excited laughter, squeals of delight, and tears of joy.  I’ll admit, that’s what I envisioned.  But when I saw that message pop up on my phone, “Subject: Schmitz – Referral,” followed by “Laurel and Sam, I am so thrilled...,” my heart skipped a beat.  I immediately opened my email on the desktop so I could view the entire message in all of its glory.  And there it was…those precious words for which we’ve been waiting so long.  “Laurel and Sam, I am so thrilled to say that we received a referral for you today!!!”  I wanted to laugh.  I wanted to cry.  Is this for real?! 

I promptly forwarded the message to Sam and sent him a chat, “Are you at your desk? WE GOT OUR REFERRAL!!!”  When I get excited, I try to convey that in my writing.  Caps Lock on.  An overabundant use of exclamation points.  It is important for people to know that I AM EXCITED!!!

Sam response:  “Holy crap.”  Note the period.  No exclamation mark.  No Caps.  A period.  That’s about as excited as Sam gets.  But that’s okay; that’s who he is.

Admittedly, since I received the email first thing in the morning, my day wasn’t as productive as it could’ve been.  I was jittery and excited all day; focusing on a single task was virtually impossible.  I just found out I’m getting a baby girl!!

Oh yeah, we’re getting a little girl!!  She’s one year old.  Due to various contractual reasons, I can’t really divulge any more information, especially online.  But if you were to talk to us one-on-one, we’re more than happy to share our experience thus far.

So you may be wondering what happens now?  When we accepted the referral, the adoption agency in Bulgaria and our adoption agency in the States began working closely together to set the wheels in motion (mostly in the form of paperwork, loads of it).  We’ll be traveling for Trip 1 very soon; this is when we meet her!  After Trip 1, we’ll come home and wait for our court date, which is usually 3-5 months after Trip 1.  Once we pass court, we’ll go on Trip 2 – the pick-up trip!!  She’ll finally be home with us!

Many have asked if Bram will be going.  Of course!  What an awesome opportunity for him!  He’s at the perfect age to be able to soak it all in.  Plus, he’s been patiently waiting just as long as we have.  He’s been wanting to be a big brother for a long time.  In his words, “I’ve literally been waiting half of my life for this.”

Another question we get, “What’s her name?”  While we do have a name picked out for her that combines her Bulgarian name with the name we’ve chosen, we’re keeping that to ourselves for the time being.  I will say this though…it’s long.  Poor kid.

We are so thrilled with this news.  It’s gone from wistfully saying “It will happen one day…” to excited disbelief of “What!?  I can’t believe this is really happening!!”  Everyone…and I mean everyone…has been so very supportive during this time.  I truly can’t thank you enough.  Please keep us in your prayers as we take the next big leap to bringing our little girl home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment